How to make Sweets Treats Apple Cranberry Cobbler !!!
Apple Cranberry Cobbler.
Simpler than a pie and not quite a cake despite a cakey crown, here is a cobbler kissed with orange and almond and baked together with whole grains. The fruit isn’t weighed down by tons of sugar or fat, so the results are tart and only moderately sweet, making an obvious canvas for a scoop of vanilla ice cream. What’s more, each serving supplies 6 g of fiber thanks to the unpeeled apples.
Apples are a source of soluble fiber, which lowers cholesterol, and insoluble fiber, which helps to “get stuff out” (much appreciated if you’re having some trouble with your sluggish digestive system). A medium apple has about 4 g of fiber. Cranberries are rich in antioxidants such as vitamin C, which help neutralize free radicals in the body that can cause disease. The little red berries are also best known for their use in preventing (not treating) UTIs, a common irritation during pregnancy.
- Makes 6 servings
- 3 medium apples (Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Gala, or your favorite variety),
- unpeeled, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup/113 g fresh cranberries
- 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or orange juice
- 1 cup/128 g plus 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour, divided
- ¼ cup/48 g plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- ? cup/43 g almond flour
- ¼ cup/37 g corn flour or fine-grind cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup/59 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 medium orange
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C/Gas 4.
- Dump the apples and cranberries into a 9-inch/23 cm pie plate and toss them about with each other a bit while you drizzle in the lemon juice. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the white whole wheat flour plus 1 teaspoon of the sugar over the fruit and toss everything together again, making sure the flour and sugar have settled on the fruit and not the bottom of the plate.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of white whole wheat flour, the remaining ¼ cup of granulated sugar, the almond flour, corn flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk the milk, oil, orange zest, and vanilla and almond extracts in a spouted measuring cup. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk everything together into a batter.
- Pour the batter over the fruit in the pie dish and transfer the dish to the oven. Bake for 1 hour, or until the batter bakes into a cakey top with golden-tan speckles across it. A toothpick inserted in the center of the top of the cobbler should come out clean.
- Let the cobbler rest for about 10 minutes before cutting into it. Slice into six wedges and top with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Calories 333 | Total fat 14 g (Saturated 2 g, Poly 1 g, Omega-3 0.08 g, DHA 0.00 g, EPA 0.00 g, Mono 7 g) | Cholesterol 2 mg | Protein 6 g | Sodium 323 mg | Carbohydrates 48 g | Fiber 6 g | Sugars 20 g | Vitamin A 27 mcg | Vitamin B6 0 mg | Vitamin B12 0 mcg | Vitamin C 9 mg | Vitamin D 20 IU | Choline 13 mg | Folate 5 mcg | Calcium 154 mg | Iron 2 mg