How to cook Healthy Pregnancy Sweets Banana Bonbons!!!
These bonbons pass for dessert as well as a midday pick-me-up. Frozen bananas are meltingly smooth with a surprising resemblance to ice cream. Crowned with a dark chocolate cap and optional toppings, they’re sweet enough to double as a treat as much as a nutritious snack. In fact, if you indulged in two servings’ worth, you’d still beat out a candy bar in the good-for-you category, since these save face without even trying on account of potassium, natural sugars, flavanols, and a bit of iron.
A banana contains about 422 mg of potassium, which helps control blood pressure and combat cramps. Pregnant women should have 4,700 mg a day. Chocolate contains flavanols (phytonutrients), which act like antioxidants and work to prevent cellular damage in our bodies. Flavanols can also help lower blood pressure and increase blood flow to brain and heart, which is a real boon to your pregnant body! Flavanol levels vary from chocolate to chocolate, with the highest amounts hiding out in darker chocolate.
- Makes about 42 bonbons (6 per serving)
- ½ cup/123 g dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and sliced into ½-inch-/1.3 cm-thick rounds
- ¼ cup/35 g roasted, salted almonds, chopped (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper. Put the chocolate into a small saucepot over medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until completely melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. (To melt in the microwave instead, put the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on medium power for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.)
- Dip one of the cut sides of each banana piece in the chocolate by hand and set the pieces chocolate-side up on the paper-lined baking sheet. Alternatively, use a spoon to spread a ½ teaspoon dollop of the chocolate across one side. Sprinkle the chopped almonds on top of the chocolate.
- Set the bonbons in the freezer until completely firm, about 2 hours. Then transfer to an airtight container or resealable plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
Calories 151 | Total fat 7 g (Saturated 4 g, Poly 0 g, Omega-3 0.02 g, DHA 0.00 g, EPA 0.00 g, Mono 2 g) | Cholesterol 1 mg | Protein 2 g | Sodium 4 mg | Carbohydrates 21 g | Fiber 3 g | Sugars 11 g | Vitamin A 2 mcg | Vitamin B6 0 mg | Vitamin B12 0mcg | Vitamin C 5 mg | Vitamin D 0 IU | Choline 6 mg | Folate 12 mcg | Calcium 15 mg | Iron 2 mg